Saturday, June 20, 2009

He's in camp at last!

Is this the sign of a happy camper or what!

Today I can finally share Part 3 of Cody's camping adventure! He's on his way today to the Tim Horton's Children's camp in Alberta, BC Canada for the time of his life!


Cody packing and saying good-byes on the phone

I kicked off Friday to pack for him while he had his last day of school. 10 socks, 10 underwear, 10 t-shirts... on and on it went. And everything had to be labeled with first AND last name.. whew! It was quite a list to follow but understandable. Our weather is totally unpredictable this time of year, especially where he's going. He had swim shorts all the way to a winter coat with mitts!

We ventured out very early the next am, woke up at 5, had to leave the house by 6. I was to bring him to a Tim Horton's nearby where the bus would transport the kids to the airport.


My heart lurched for a moment when I saw the bus on the lot waiting. Already?!?!? But I got a good 1/2 hour to warm up to what was to come and had a great chance to chat with the councillors. These gals were flown in from Alberta to accompany the kids to the camp so they'd be from start to finish with the same adults. Wow.


And naturally I had to sneak in a (7am yawn) mom picture. LOL


Cody was sooo eager to board the bus right away but we waited outside until it was time. I'm so proud of his eagerness! Last year he just wasn't ready for such an event and this year he couldn't leave the house soon enough! What a difference a year can make at this age.


Yup, with taunting like that, I most certainly didn't have to worry about him pining too too much I'd say. :)
After I got home, I started to clean the house of all our trails from the days of packing and sorting. Then decided it was time for a nice (what turned into a 2 hour) nap. Travelling days are tough in these parts ya know. LOL
And then, I finally got the automated message 10 hours later. The kids had arrived safely and were in their cabins enjoying a pizza dinner. That's when I cried. He had been so eager to see his cabin and just be there for so long and he was finally doing it. And PIZZA? Hello... the ultimate?
Oh. And then the announcer proceeded to remind parents that the kids would be white water rafting, doing archery, horseback riding... only all the things he's been dying to get involved with. That qualified a couple more tears of happiness for him.
The boy is truly in a Canadian Disneyland. I'm ecstatic for him!
Parents can email their kids too! If you email them, they get to read the messages after breakfast each day. How cool is that?!? He packed some writing materials to write back as they have an hour of quiet time a day, but if he chooses not to, that is cool, I just want him to have fun with no obligations!
It'll take me a bit to morph into the land of me me me, but as I start projects around the house with no interruptions, I have a feeling my continued renos will come along quite nicely. I have no excuses now!
If you missed previous installments to this story.. they are:
Part One
http://justanotherwonderfulday.blogspot.com/2009/01/codys-amazing-upcoming-adventure.html
Part Two
http://justanotherwonderfulday.blogspot.com/2009/04/big-answer-arrived-today.html
For now, it's time to roll up my sleeves and get busy around this place. I can't wait to hear the stories he brings home upon his return. You can bet there will be a final Part 4 to this one!