Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cheezies, I have to break up with you.


Progress report - week one

Dear Cheezies, I've loved you for such a very long time. But I'm afraid we must part ways.

While your crazy colour lures me in something fierce, and your salty/crunchy texture perfection for a computer side snack, I have to let you go. For now.

You see, I started to put down the junk food for the time being and focus on better healthy eating habits. I fail daily, but in much smaller increments than I allowed before. I enjoy a taste here and there, but no longer will sit with a full bag by my side and mindlessly crunch.

I bought you 2 days ago. And went crazy. And nearly doubled over the next day. Oh. My. CHEESE!

It's not the Cheezie's fault. Not one bit. I'm certain a mild snack attack on occasion will not hurt the masses. But my indulging was nightly. It didn't have to be alot, but the problem was, it was consistent.

This new diet thang I'm attempting (not following a plan persay, but just grabs of ideas from various sources) states I really shouldn't snack. But I'm not good with that. I don't like stuffing myself stupid with big dinners to hopefully tide me over till the early AM. I don't like to 'feel' hungry. So I just eat regular portions, then allow for a small handful of nuts or ? for a snack. I don't want to run on empty only leaving me to further indulge and crave.

In are:
 
vitamins
LOTS of raw fresh veggies (low to no frozen, canned, cooked)
lean healthy proteins (raw nuts, chicken, lean beef on occasion)
extremely low bread type good carbs
easy on the fruit to start (high in sugar)
water as first beverage of choice (I lied. It's still coffee.)
coffee on occasion (I lied. It's still coffee.)
walks (we walk everywhere every chance we get)
upping the sleep (ie: off the computer earlier!)

Gone are:

white carbs
junk food
bloating
stomach acid fixes (pills, liquids and such)

I'm young into this healthier lifestyle so I have a long way to go. But after approx a week, I'm inspired because I FEEL better. I really really do.

What took me so long? I ask myself. I already know the answer.

You have to WANT this. You have to really really feel and want this bad. Because turning down amazingly fun food is so difficult when it's a habit.

I've done this all before and lost 25 lb.  And I remember it well. I vividly remember gagging on a donut after a looong realm of not touching one. I remember a Tim Horton's ice cap being too sweet and wishing I had stuck to my fresh cold water instead. And that's all starting to come back to me again.

The trick? Get through the withdrawal of the bad, and you're on your way. Give it at least a week of a really focused "get it outa my sight!" kinda thinking. After 1 week, you'll start feeling better and be encouraged.

I'm starting a new label. I'm calling it diet talk. I'm going to keep reporting back in here to share what's working/not working. Maybe, just maybe, it may help another who's not feeling up to par for whatever reason.

At the very least, it can't be a bad thing to feel good! Right?

What's worked for you, diet wise? 

10 comments:

Anita said...

I need to give up the bad carbs. We are a pasta family so it's hard. I did South Beach before and it did work. Worked better for my husband, not fair, but those first 2 weeks were very hard! Going to try to modify it. And why is it so much easier for men to lose it?

Cyndi said...

I'm on board with you Donna! After my sister died 1 1/2 years ago at age 52 (my age now!) from pancreatic cancer and my 47 yo brother having a heart scare 2 weeks ago, I've decided some major changes need to be made. I bought two books written by Dr. Jonny Bowden, "The Most Effective Ways to Live Longer" and "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth". Very helpful information! I'd love for you to follow up on your healthy eating journey!

Lori said...

Good for you Donna ~ you are definitely on the right track. I have been on weight watchers since the middle of Jan and lost 20 lbs so far. Some days are tougher than others but I do allow myself 1 "cheat day" a week. I find the points easy for me as I can still have what I want ~ I just have to count them. I am the kind of girl that when I say I cannot have something ~ it is the first thing that I crave. Crazy but true. I love those Cheezies ~ they are the best and I have not had them in years!

Kolein said...

My body is talking to me lately. A lot. I'm waiting for the real dive in...it's coming. I can feel it in the wind. I have been incrementally making some changes. It's more than food for me. I don't have too many issues there (I do have some, though.) You already know I'm on board with you here. Sometimes it's good not to go it alone. My thoughts are that I'd like to drop 10-15 pounds or two sizes, which ever comes first. And also drop stress. I have too much of it. Or it has too much of me. I'm not clear on that one yet.

I'm in peri/menopause which piles on more than I can muster at times. And I DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT!

So while I'm crunching, meditating, praying and going for walks I'll be visiting here for support from you and giving you anything and everything that I can offer in our new lifestyle change process!!!

xoxo
~Kolein

Lorie said...

Ah! I am trying not to want Cheetos now that I have seen that picture! But I am so with you!

When I don't eat refined sugar I feel SO MUCH BETTER!

So why do I still eat the stuff?

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

It's a good thing that I now live in the USA because I CANNOT buy Cheezies here in Kansas...and I have never seen them between here and the BC border! I MISS MY CHEEZIES!!! But I know what you mean...they're hard to quit at just a few. Now I'm substituting with Kettle Corn...ugh. At my age I crave carbs...I NEED carbs...I MUST HAVE carbs but I can't keep this up if I want to stay healthy so I'm going keep up with what you're doing to get and stay healthy Donna. Like Kolein I'm in Peri/menopause and it sucks. Nothing I can do about it so may as well go with the flow and get on the healthy 'bandwagon'. Thanks for letting us tag along so we don't feel so alone in this. Take care....Maura :-)

shannon i olson said...

yeah coffee! shhh!
yeah, I need, no NEED to be there with ya, starting is so hard. Good Luck! Coffee is good for you. ;0)

Anonymous said...

If you are still pursuing dieting and healthy eating you should read this article about consuming a protein-rich diet throughout the day can help prevent without overeating.

http://www.dailyrx.com/news-article/high-protein-diet-enhances-fullness-and-weight-loss-14514.html

dte said...

Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. Don't go around saying the world owes you a living rs gold, The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect Runescape Gold, It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powersrs gold.

dte said...

It takes strength to be truthful when a lie would be more convenient D3 Gold, it takes strength to be polite to someone when that person has been rude to you Buy D3 Gold, it takes strength to persist in the face of obstacles, when it would be much easier to simply give up Cheap D3 Gold.