Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Living in the 'now.'



I have this 'friend' that sneaks in from time to time. It doesn't come invited. In fact, I groan when the visit transpires.

Being relatively healthy my entire life, when this vertigo thing hit about 9 months ago out of the blue, it caught me completely off guard. It shut me down to the point of not driving, not visiting, struggling to work many days. It's not steady. It comes and goes as it pleases. It's a lifeform all on it's own it seems.

At the time when it hit, I was going through a somewhat stressful time in my life. Heavy with reno deadlines, work related issues, plus. I don't know that this issue is even related to stress to this day. But being hit with this so suddenly stunned me into action.

So I did all the moves and tests necessary because something was wrong. But do you know how frustrating it is when you have an issue that no one can find the cause to? Crazy. However I got on with life as best as I could. And one promise I made to myself was, when this fog finally moved upward, I was going to make some big changes in my life. Obviously something was not working as is before, so I made some goals.

And then one day it lifted. Little by little, my head cleared. I was estatic! And started implementing new changes.

I kicked open the door to my adult spirituality and started going to church. I started self teaching myself a few things on the net about blogging and design. I started a new physiotherapist for a new kind of treatment. I've started down a passionate road leading to a 'work' I will adore. I started volunteering. I started some evening spiritual classes. There simply was no stopping me this time!

And then BAM, the big V strikes again. Not cool.

Looking back, I was very busy before this hit. When I chilled and slowed down, things got better. Now that I'm at full speed again, although in new exciting directions, it hits again I have a funny feeling that my body is saying, "Too much. Again, too much."

Perhaps I'm 'lucky.' My body actually speaks to me and tells me when enough is enough. Now... will I learn to listen?

Ok ok. So what to give up I don't know yet. But for today, it's time to chill and be in the moment that Emily speaks of. The moment of now. Just stop all this preplanning and enjoy the NOW. I'm going to stop my spinning world single handedly and be still for today. Even if my head isn't cooperating. Yet.

Thanks Dr. Emily. This is something the docs did not prescribe, but something I will try regardless.

If you are curious about the NOW topic I refer to, visit Chatting at the Sky's Tuesdays Unwrapped where I am sharing this post.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your Vertigo is back, yep I think it's time for you too slow down just a tad.... have you ever thought about giving up the caffeine? Just a suggestion. Take care of yourself, Love from me.

emily said...

Oh man. If only I could get paid for that diagnosis :) I struggled with vertigo when I was in high school. I never really went to the doctor for it, but I remember it being very scary and frustrating. Here's to living in the now and listening to your body!

Playing Sublimely said...

Thank you for sharing, take care of yourself!
Amy

Alyssa Barnett said...

I think I am suffering from some sort of vertigo myself - at this moment...and for the last few months. I can't quite place it. I am dizzy - and it comes and goes. I was thinking it was low blood pressure, but now am not sure.
Is yours mild or severe? I'm waiting on a dr appt - but would love your insight!

Thanks
Alyssa
lifeoflyssie.com

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Alyssa, it was my hope that by finally revealing this type of post, that I could possibly help someone else out going through it. Thanks for the opportunity!

Mine is mild right now, but that wasn't always the case.

#1 - try and destress. It's my belief that when something goes wrong with us, it's generally related to something else. Stress can do so much damage and besides, your body is yelling at you to slow down right now. I think we have to learn to listen to that.

#2. Self educate. Go online and start reefing through symptoms and their causes.

#3. Take your list to your doctor. My doc did many more tests due to my lists than she would have otherwise at first. I just needed to nip it in the bud as quick as possible because, you know.. I have no time for nonsence like this. :)

I hope you find a solution sooner than later!

Let me know if I can offer anything else to you.

signmakergirl@hotmail.com

Donna

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Anon, I'm down to one morning coffee a day as a general rule. If I have another later, I drink decaf. I realize quitting 100% would be best of course.

I've been debating on quitting but am looking for a substitute first to fill that void so I don't fail.

Thanks for the insight!

Donna

Loree said...

What is it with vertigo? I seem to be getting it too. Nothing too severe. Just days when it seems as if I had 1 or 2 glasses of wine for breakfast. it's weird. I know I am stressed out because the situation at wo rk is not good right now. So it could be due to that. And I suffer from low blood pressure.

classroom fundraiser said...

"Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest"

I heard that Cranio Sacral therapy can help Vertigo...might be worth a try :)

At Town Square said...

I love how you have all of these things you said you were doing and your a single mom. Keep your head up and keep going. I have many things I want to do and with three kids and a husband gone all of the time I get down and have a hard time keeping my head up but I just tell myself I have to keep going for those kids. Great blog!

dte said...

A bumblebee if dropped into an open tumbler will be there until it dies, unless it is taken out aion gold, it never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists in trying to find some way out through the sides near the bottom aion gold, It will seek a way where none exists, until it completely destroys itself aion kinah.

dte said...

The consequences of today are determined by the actions of the past scarlet blade gold. To change your future, alter your decisions today scarlet blade gold, Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards scarlet blade gold, but it takes character to keep you there.