Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A neighbouring community

Before I lived in this home, I was on a dream piece of property. 5 acres, heritage styled newer home, wrap around veranda, and just one big honkin' glorious yard. I tinkered and toyed with house and yard until I got it JUST the way I adored it. And then I moved.

Today, I'm in a tightly knit neighbouring community. By that I mean, the houses are side by side, you have 1-2 spaces in your driveway to park, and then there's your typical boxed in backyard. I happened to luck out as my backyard faces a gorgeous mountain view with a city owned park behind it, so I feel very blessed for that, coming from where I did.

However, tightly knit neighbourhood means a little more than just how close the houses are situated. For when I chose my home, I chose a neighbourhood community. And I had no idea at the time what a spectacular area I was about to live in.

I'm a sole parent, so it's my 10 yr old son and I workin' on our lives. And while I love that aspect so very much, at times you simply need advice or a helping hand from another adult. Most of you may name that other adult spouse.

My neighbours are pretty special. They loan out their spouses to me when I'm in need. Just 2 nights ago Rudy finally busted down 2 wasp nests I had delayed doing out of sheer fear. Apparently he does them all the time with his line of work, so it was nothing to just go out there in broad daylight, spritz the nests and done. Just. like. that. wow.... Oh, I also borrowed Rudy to show me how to use my circular saw safely too. Oh and then he held up the ladder against the house so I could safely climb up onto my roof. I could go on and on.

And Jake, well, Jake is simply too handy to have right next door here. From tinkering on my troubled at times truck, to helping me lug heavy stuff around, and always smiling while he does it, just amazing.

The gals in the neighbourhood help as well. From simply someone to talk to, all the way to Corinne bringing me over a surprise coffee or Janette handing me over something luscious she just whipped up in the kitchen, it's a pleasure to have my girl neighbours close by. Francis and I love to shoot the breeze about most anything, Elizabeth will attempt to tag a walk with me on occasion. As you can see, I'm well surrounded with great folk.

And it doesn't stop there. The kids in the neighbourhood are always brightening up Cody's and my day. Just today, Lucas helped guide my travel trailer hitch onto the back of my truck. Zach loves coming over to see what's cookin' or what Cody's up to, and gives me the greatest advice on what I should do with this or that. (I LOVE to ask Zach stuff because he's just good at it!) Georgian helps me with my gardening while we nitter natter girl style, Kenny likes to rough and tough it out with all the things Cody likes to do, and Ross is that little background enhancement that rounds things off perfectly.

Aside from my road full of good folks, the small town I live in keeps us in pretty constant contact with others nearby. Vic is always bringing me berries from his garden, helping me with all things reno, and he planted my garden this summer! Dan is always offering some kind of building advice and is a good outlet for creative talks. Gord helps me with my truck and trailer needs, and his wife Rosie and I chat it up about all things decorating as well as her sharing her vast stock of plants. Amazing.

Lately with our recent heatwaves, some of these neighbours have been by up to several times a day jumping in our backyard kiddie pool. It's a decent size to cool off in even for an adult.

Can I just say how totally grateful I feel for having something to give back to them? Not that I have to, but that I CAN. Gate's always open, cover's always off, whether we're here or not, it's free reign to the pool.

I'm just feeling particularly blessed today to be right where we are. I was hesitating hitching up the trailer that I had parked on the road to back into my driveway. But when I spotted the street sweeper closing in on our road, I had to go for it. I had power washed my driveway leaving stuff worthy of sweeping on the road. The sweeper does a much better job than I ever would. So I ran out there, fiddled awhile on my own until I spotted Lucas. And he made all the difference in the world. My confidence is once again now intact.

Just another reminder that the good people around here are making our lives much brighter. Thanks all! You have no idea how much we both appreciate you!