Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Little boy no more

It all started this AM with Cody and I biking to school. He bolts out onto the road in typical rambunctious 10 yr old fashion with an oncoming car heading in his path.

"CODY!" I yell.

He swerves to the side and says, "Moooom, you don't have to say that!"

Well, yeah, I thought I kinda had to...

We get to school. I note he put on a nice black t-shirt, but the problem is, it's full of CAT hair. Nice. He's always picking up those darned cats after putting on black. It's illegal and cannot be done I say.

"You have cat hair all over your shirt! You can't go in like that!" as I proceed to lick my hand so I can swipe off the cat nest festering all over him.

"GROOOSSS! NO MOM!"

Shoot. I shouldn't have licked my hand. Dead gross-mom giveaway. Thinking fast, I head for the water fountain on the school ground. I soak my hand, SHOW him I'm wiping MOST of it off (he detests wet on him) and proceed to swipe swipe swipe in true motherhood fashion. I know, what a pain in the butt I can be. He fussed some and kept turning on me but I nabbed most of it. Whew. I can breathe now.

School bell rings. Time to go in! I go to give him that little snuggle of a hug and kiss combo and as I'm doing the forward lean thing, he eyes me weird. Oh, right. Gotta be cool here.

"No more kisses and hugs for you huh?" He looks at me in that little eeny weeny corner of his sparkly eye and gives me a small smirk. He wants it. BAD. I go in for the dive and for fun, glue myself on him as we waddle to the door of the school while we both laugh.

Ah crap. I have to let go. He's been chained to my hip for 10 years. I have some habits to break.

Cody's off to camp this weekend for 9 whoppin' days taking a flight outa town no less. Guess that'll be a GREAT start to me letting go, huh? I'll update on my state of mind as the weekend nears. Right now I feel excitement for him! Let's see what Saturday brings, shall we?

Sigh... 10 going on 20. When did this happen?