Monday, April 27, 2009

When life throws you a curve ball... you learn a new way to catch.

The economy stories I've been avoiding for so long are finally catching up in my quaint little area of the world. I thought if I'd just avoid the news and not allow the hype to get to me, the entire fiasco would simply be a myth. Apparently not so.

I see many changes constantly. One of my all time favorite bloggers is moving due to her rental foreclosure. A friend's work has slowed down. I hear of layoffs daily. It's a scary world out there.

And then trouble began to knock on my own front door. I didn't want to answer it for the longest time, keeping busy, avoiding the inevitable. But there comes a time when you are forced to listen to reason or you pay the price.

Indeed some changes are before me. I'm struggling with a slower economy, which creates a slower work pace, which greatly effects lifestyle choices.

For years I have parked my trailer at a favorite campsite during the summer months. It provided a great getaway when my son was out of school. The boy literally grew up on the beach. It was an affordable way to vacation.

The campsite has recently revamped to be all full season, which means to park there 12 months out of the year. But it comes with a price. Basically, a bigger one at that.

I managed to pay my dues last year, diligently saving up monthly ahead of time, so I could pay cash for my leisure for the rest of the year. And yes, it was fabulous taking off on weekends to run and escape reality for a short while.

Things are different this year. I didn't diligently save. I was busy spending on renos and life and needing to dip into savings as the troubled economy started brewing. Basically put, I don't have the funds for my leisurely lifestyle this year. And I'm in mourning. Big time. My gut says my camper is going to have to sit in my driveway as opposed to a campsite this year.

And I'm not alone. Many are revamping their lives to incorporate change.

But does this have to be a bad thing? I've always found in the past, that from troubled times, there always appears to be a silver lining. All the things in my past that have brought me some grief have always become a benefit of sorts. Each and every time.

It's with that optimism that I am slowly forcing myself to think differently. Rather than panic, be informed, do what one must do, and keep watching for that silver lining.

I can already spot some sparkly corners if I dig deep enough. I'll be home on weekends and can work on my house that so badly is in need of fine tuning and refinishing. I can once again bond with my own surroundings on weekends as opposed to running away from them. I can plant a full garden knowing that I'll actually be home to water and eat from it. I can take the time to go on my thrifty hunts and create new and wonderful economical solutions to my house and yard in need. And I can slowly mould my interests and passions into possibly something that can employ me full time one day.

Building a new business?!? Who am I kidding you ask? I'm not kidding. I'm kicking some doors open and looking for opportunities. I'm talking about it. I'm practicing it. I'm researching it. And I'm going to do it. And I've already started. Yup, I'm gonna be a HGTV decorator type with a big 'ol smiley attitude! Alright, that's thinking abit big. I want to stage homes and decorate economically for folks.

And it might take weekends to do this too. Therefore, I'd need to be home on weekends. Hmmm... something tells me the puzzle pieces are starting to fit together. There's still a big chunk missing in the middle, but I imagine as time goes on, I'll find the perfect fit to make this picture one smooth transition. Some pieces just take their time showing up.

I'm here to tell you, there is ALWAYS a silver lining somewhere. You just have to be willing to roll with the punches and tweak as you go along. Eventually it all makes sense.

What will this economy ultimately teach many of us? No doubt to save for a rainy day. That we don't need 'new stuff.' That debt is something to be avoided and it's more important to be debt free than to accumulate stuff that is getting us in debt. To live simply. To reflect on what's really important in life.

Lessons will be learned and I believe, if you allow yourself to work through the new transitions without panicking, you will find your silver lining as well.

I'm looking forward to see what my final puzzle piece will bring me. For now, it's important to be good to people, build your support system around you, let others in that wish to help, go help them, and get through this like one big happy family.

Playing catch can indeed be tricky with those curve balls. But just think. If you learn to catch in a new way, you have built a brand new skill! That in itself, may be the lesson you've needed all along right there.